Thursday, March 24, 2011

'What You See in the Dark': my review

My brief 300 word review in my home publication, The Austin Chronicle, cannot capture the full breadth of my astonishment over what Manuel Muñoz has accomplished in his debut novel, What You See in the Dark.  I have always found his work to be austere and beautiful, like Shaker furniture, and he delivers more of the same in this carefully constructed novel that links three, seemingly disparate women, whose stories are told before the backdrop of a film production (the iconic Psycho). The official pub date is Tuesday, March 29, but a little bird told me you could find it in bookstores now, as well as online.

Muñoz is one of those writers I feel blessed to have read, like Cristina Garcia and Helena Maria Viramontes (who Muñoz studied with). If I'm lucky, I'll get to spend some time with Muñoz and Viramontes at this summer's Macondo Workshop. Better start saving my pennies now!

Please click on the title above to read my review. What do what you think? I'd like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment